Monday, August 15, 2011

Karkku Language Camp

I'm alive! I'm in Estonia now, but first I need to go back and tell a little about last week...

I survived my first week in Europe at a language camp in Karkku, Finland, where 60% of the time we had lessons, 25% of the time we ate, and 15% of the time we were outside. The camp is situated about three hours north of Helsinki, where I flew into. It's in what seemed like the middle of nowhere, with a huge lake and forests surrounding it. At the camp there were about 123 students plus 10 or so tutors. One hundred and seventeen of those students were headed to Finland, while six where destined for Estonia. I was one of those extra-lucky six!

An average day at Karkku went something like this:
7:45 - Breakfast
8:45 - Info about the day
9:00-11:30 - First lesson
11:45 - Lunch
13:00 - Second Lesson
14:30 - Coffee break & outdoor activities
16:00 - Lecture
17:30 - Dinner
19:00-20:30 - Sauna
20:45 - Evening snack
22:30 - Bed time

Here are some pictures of the lake...







Aftermath of one of our dorm's famous Ramen Parties. Here you can see Japanese Pocky candy, Taiwanese ramen noodles, and New Hampshirian maple candies!

More to come about my first days in Estonia in the near future!



No comments:

Post a Comment